Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Hanuman And I

Preparations had begun for our school annual
day. Two plays were to be staged. The senior
section was to enact 'Merchant of Venice' and
the junior section, 'The Story of Rama'. I was
hoping with all my heart that the drama teacher
would include me in die cast. I had never acted
in a play but was sure that once on stage I would
give a brilliant performance.
Radhika, the prettiest girl in our class, would
certainly get Sita's role. Since I was shorter than
Radhika and had a shrill voice I could not hope to
be Rama. But I wouldn't mind being Rama's
brother Laxmana, I decided. I went around for
a few days, imagining myself on stage with a bow
and arrow slung on my shoulders, giving a brilliant
performance as Laxmana. How surprised
my parents would be! I could almost hear my
father saying, "Imagine we had such a talented
daughter and we didn't even realise it."
I was terribly disappointed when the drama
teacher smiled and said, "I have a role for you.
You'll be one of the monkeys in the Vanar Sena.""
"Monkey brigade that helped Lord Rama.
"Can't I at least get the role of Hanuman," 1
asked timidly.
"No, your voice is too squeaky," was the teacher's
reply.
Our rehearsals began the next day. All I had
to do along with seven other girls was to jump up
and down and shout, "Jai Rama', "Jai Hanuman'
in a chorus.
Finally the great day arrived. We were all very
excited. I had to wear a red shirt, red pants, red
vest and a monkey mask.
We were dressing up when the chaukidar* *
handed a note to the teacher. She read it aloud.
"Dear Madam, I am very sorry to inform you that
Alka has contracted measles and has been running
a high temperature since morning. Sorry, she
will not be able to act in the play."
Alka was to play Hanuman. The teacher looked
round in dismay and her eyes fell on me. "Look
here," she said doubtfully, "You wanted to be
Hanuman? You think you can manage?" My dream
was suddenly coming true! I was quite overwhelmed.
"Of course 1 can," I said confidently.
"Even if I forget, I can always think up something
else."
"Oh no," she said, "You shall certainly not do
any such thing. I shall be prompting from the
"Victory to Lord Rama, Victory to Lord Hanuman.
""Watchman.
wings. All you have to do is repeat what I say and,
for god's sake, don't mumble. Speak as loudly as
you can."
As the curtains went up for the third scene I
was pushed on stage to the accompaniment of
drums. I almost fell on my face. For sometime I
could not see a thing. The drums were echoing in
my ears and my hands and feet were cold and
numb. I opened my mouth to say my lines but
my throat was dry and I couldn't remember them.
Thankfully I heard my teacher reading out my
lines again and again. I began repeating whatever
she said without realising what I was saying.
I kneeled in front of Rama telling him with folded
hands that I was his faithful servant. I would
gladly die for him. "Oh, my Lord", I repeated
loudly what my teacher was saying, "you have






forgotten to pin your tail." "Don't be silly," hissed
Rama, "I am not supposed to have a tail. You've
forgotten yours."' I touched the spot where the
tail should have been. "I am sorry, my Lord," I
said trying to make up for my mistake. "I meant
my tail, I have forgotten to pin on my tail."
The teacher now whispered, "Jump, jump," I
shouted, "Jump."
"You jump," Rama shouted at me. Then realising
my second mistake I began to jump like mad
and the curtains came down to the sound of
laughter.
There and then the teacher cut short my role as
much as possible, but I had to be on stage in the
last act.
I was feeling less nervous now and said my
lines well. I showed Rama's ring to Sita to convince
her that 1 was Rama's messenger. Sita said
some beautiful lines about Rama's greatness and
how much she missed him. She hid her face in her
hands and began to weep. Suddenly I realised
that the teacher was prompting while Sita kept
sobbing. Since Sita was not saying anything I decided
that it was my turn to speak.
"My beauty is my bane," I said grandly. "It is
because of my beauty that the wicked Ravana
wants to marry me."
"What?" said Sita looking startled.
"Not you, you idiot," I repeated what the tea-
cher said. Seeing the startled expression of the
whole cast I bit my tongue, realising my mistake
too late.
Just then everyone on stage began shouting,
"Maharaja* is coming, Ravana the Great is here!"
I was struck dumb by the huge figure in six-inch
heels, which 1 didn't know about until that time,
bearing down on me with a shining sword in hand.
He said in a thunderous voice that made me tremble.
"Who is this puny creature who dares to
intrude into my kingdom?" I was supposed to answer
in a proud voice that I was the son of Pawandev,
the wind God, the worshipper of Rama, the
immortal Hanuman. But Ravana was towering
over me. He raised his sword and I screamed in
terror, "Don't kill me, I am not Hanuman." I pulled
off my mask as I spoke. By now the audience
was rolling with laughter. The sound of laughter
became louder when an infuriated teacher came
on stage and unceremoniously dragged me away.
"King

No comments:

Post a Comment